I read these sites every day; I think you should too. As far as I’m concerned, this is the best of the best.
Where I Write / Talk
- SoccerCentric – This one’s me only, writing about international soccer and Minnesota Uniterd FC, the local pro soccer team, at startribune.com.
- The Sportive – A podcast, including me, the aforementioned Stu, and my internet friends Brandon Broxey and Clarence Swamptown. (Two of those are not real names.)
- Twinkie Town – SB Nation’s Twins blog. Featuring Jesse Lund, the great and incomparable Stu (of RandBall fame), and a host of others.
- TwinsCentric – The Star Tribune got smart and got the four TwinsCentric guys – John Bonnes, Seth Stohs, Parker Hageman, and Nick Nelson – to write a blog for their site. When they’re not at startribune.com, their content is at Twins Daily, along with that of several other excellent contributors.
- Aaron Gleeman – He now writes for eighty other places, but the Twins news stays on his site.
- Twins Insider – *Star Tribune *Twins beat guy La Velle E. Neal III blogs here.
- 6-4-3 – See previous line, but substitute Phil Miller.
- A Fan’s View – And then there’s former beat guy Howard Sinker, who’s now the online sports coordinator but still writes about the Twins here.
- Rhett Bollinger – The official MLB.com Twins beat writer.
- Gopher Football – The official Star Tribune Gopher football blog, from beat writer Joe Christensen.
- Gopher Hoops – The official Star Tribune Gopher hoops blog, by beat writer Amelia Rayno.
- From The Barn – The best Gopher hoops blog I’ve seen.
- Vikings Journal – From the creators of Twins Daily comes this – the same analysis and good writing, but about the Vikings
- Russo’s Rants – The home of Star Tribune beat writer Michael Russo. As far as I’m concerned, this is the model for all beat writer blogs for any paper in any sport.
- Wild Xtra – The hockey version of Twins Daily, featuring a number of great writers.
- On The Wolves – From beat writer Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune.
- A Wolf Among Wolves – Another quite good Wolves blog – especially good for game analysis.
- Punch Drunk Wolves – Another great Wolves site. Between Canis Hoopus, A Wolf Among Wolves, and Punch Drunk Wolves, the Timberwolves might have the best online coverage of any basketball team.
- du Nord Futbol – The home of the du Nord Futbol podcast, hosted by Bruce McGuire and Wes Burdine. They talk about United, plus MLS and soccer around the world, and it’s really good.
Friends and Heroes
- RandBall – Written by Star Tribune college sports editor Michael Rand, along with a merry band of contributors.
- Brandon Broxey – My co-podcaster. He should write more.
- Holly Manthei – A longtime friend of The Sportive.
- Pat Reusse – Minneapolis-St. Paul’s best-ever sports columnist has a blog on the Strib website.
- TVFury – Writers Shawn Fury and Terry Vandrovec – both with local connections – combine forces for one of the more entertaining sports blogs you’ll find.